Monday, October 01, 2007

Deleted Scene: Boogie Nights, Jack Meets Eddie

               INT.  BACKROOM/KITCHEN - MOMENTS LATER

               Dirk is washing dishes.  A few others around.  Jack enters 
               and approaches.  MUFFLED SOUNDS FROM THE SONG OUT FRONT.  
               HOLD WIDE ANGLE TWO SHOT FOR WHOLE SEQUENCE.

                                     JACK
                         Hey.

                                     DIRK
                         Hey.

                                     JACK
                         Do you know where, uh...?  I'm looking 
                         for the bathroom.

                                     DIRK
                         You're way the wrong direction.  You 
                         gotta go back out and to the left -

                                     JACK
                         How old are you?

                                     DIRK
                         I got a work permit.  I got the --

                                     JACK
                         No, no, no.  Not like that.

                                     DIRK
                         I'm...old enough.

                                     JACK
                         Jesus.  Where you from?  You work 
                         here?  Wait with the answer -- how 
                         long you worked here?

                                     DIRK
                         A month.

                                     JACK
                         I haven't been here in a month.  
                         That's why I don't know you.  I would 
                         know you if you'd been here more 
                         than that right?

                                     DIRK
                         I guess so.

                                     JACK
                         Maurice give you a job here?

                                     DIRK
                         Yeah.

                                     JACK
                         Why you wanna work here?  What do 
                         you make? 
                                                                        


                                     DIRK
                         I'm not supposed to say how much I 
                         make.

                                     JACK
                         Maurice is a friend of mine.

                                     DIRK
                         You shouldn't...Well...you'll have 
                         to ask him...

                                     JACK
                         You live around here?  Canoga?  
                         Reseda?

                                     DIRK
                         Um, no...I'm from...do you know where 
                         Torrance is?

                                     JACK
                         How do you get here?

                                     DIRK
                         I take the bus.

                                     JACK
                         What do you wanna do?

                                     DIRK
                         ...what...?

                                     JACK
                         You take the bus all the way from 
                         Torrance to work as a busboy in a 
                         Van Nuys nightclub.  Why don't you 
                         work in Torrance?

                                     DIRK
                         I don't want to.

                                     JACK
                         Why not?

               Dirk doesn't answer.

                                     JACK (CONT'D)
                         Shit, I'm asking so many personal 
                         questions I hope you don't mind.  I 
                         get going, I get going and I'm 
                         really...I like to get to the point.

                                     DIRK
                         Oh yeah?

                                     JACK
                         Listen: Maybe you think, what?
                                     (MORE)



                                     JACK (CONT'D)
                         You think I'm some old queen trying 
                         to get in your pants or something 
                         like that --?  but that's not it.  
                         And I'm trying to figure out a way 
                         to tell you that without it sounding 
                         like a load of crappy poo-poo.  Y'see: 
                         You got so many shmoes out there 
                         that ain't the real thing that when 
                         a guy like me with something 
                         legitimate to offer, it's a pain in 
                         the ass for me to try and convince 
                         you of what I might have --

                                     DIRK
                         You got ten bucks?

                                     JACK
                         Ten bucks?  Yeah, I got ten bucks.

                                     DIRK
                         You wanna watch me jack-off, that's 
                         cool if you got ten bucks.

                                     JACK
                         Guys come in, ask you to jack off 
                         for them?

                                     DIRK
                         Sometimes.

                                     JACK
                         No.  No.  You and Me...?  We'll Save 
                         It.  Ten bucks, huh?

                                     DIRK
                         It's money.

                                     JACK
                         You've done it tonight -- yet?

                                     DIRK
                         Couple times.

                                     JACK
                         And you can do it again?

                                     DIRK
                         If you want...if you got ten bucks.

                                     JACK
                         Jesus Christ.

               BEAT.  Jack looks Dirk over head to toe.

                                     JACK (CONT'D)
                         You're a dancer aren't you?


                                     DIRK
                         ...I like to dance...

                                     JACK
                         No...you're a dancer...right?

                                     DIRK
                         Yeah.  I'm a dancer

                                     JACK
                         Everyone's a dancer...y'know?  Hey: 
                         Everyone's an actor, something, 
                         something: Question is: What do you 
                         want, I mean: I mean this: What Do 
                         You Want From This Life?

               HOLD, THEN:

                                     DIRK
                         I'm already the best...now I want 
                         everyone else to know it.

                                     JACK
                         I'm gonna tell you something straight 
                         out and I'm not gonna hold back and 
                         I just want you to hang out with me 
                         a minute, 'kay?

                                     DIRK
                         I'm supposed to be working.

                                     JACK
                         Maurice is my friend, don't worry 
                         about that, you let me worry about 
                         Maurice -- because that's how it's 
                         gonna go from now...me worrying, you 
                         just doing what I know you do well.

                                     DIRK
                         Oh yeah?

                                     JACK
                         Yeah.

                                     DIRK
                         So...?

                                     JACK
                         So you got a face on you like I've 
                         never seen in my life.  You were 
                         chiselled from precious metals, my 
                         friend.

                                     DIRK
                         Yeah, right.

                                     JACK
                         I'm jack.



                                     DIRK
                         Hi.

                                     JACK
                         What's your name?

                                     DIRK
                         I'm Eddie Adams.  From Torrance.

                                     JACK
                         ...Eddie Adams...from Torrance.  I'm 
                         a filmmaker.  Jack Horner.

                                     DIRK
                         Really?

                                     JACK
                         I make adult films.

                                     DIRK
                         Like what?

                                     JACK
                         Like what, like what films have I 
                         made?

                                     DIRK
                         Yeah.

                                     JACK
                         All those ones, the ones with the 
                         names: "Amanda's Ride" "Inside Amber," 
                         You've heard of them...or?

                                     DIRK
                         I know who you are.

                                     JACK
                         You do?

                                     DIRK
                         I read about you in a magazine.

                                     JACK
                         So you know me, you know now maybe 
                         that I'm not full of doggy-doo-doo.

               Dirk laughs, Jack laughs;

                                     DIRK
                         Yeah.

                                     JACK
                         Why don't you come back to my table, 
                         you wanna have a drink?

                                     DIRK
                         I'm working...


                                     JACK
                         Forget that.  Hey.  Put that dish 
                         down.

                                     DIRK
                         I'm supposed to be working --

                                     JACK
                         --That's the last dish you ever wash 
                         in your life --

                                     DIRK
                         I need money, I have to work.

                                     JACK
                         You need money...you gotta pay your 
                         rent?

                                     DIRK
                         ...No.  I mean, yeah, I need money.  
                         But I don't pay rent.  I live at 
                         home.

                                     JACK
                         You need some spending 
                         money...something?

                                     DIRK
                         I don't know...

                                     JACK
                         Hey.

                                     DIRK
                         What?

                                     JACK
                         Tell me how old you are.

                                     DIRK
                         I'm seventeen.

                                     JACK
                         I wanna tell you something right now 
                         and I want you to listen close: I'm 
                         a good man.  You're a seventeen year 
                         old piece of gold.  You treat me 
                         well and I'm gonna treat you well.  
                         I've been doin' this for twenty three 
                         years and I gotta pretty good clue 
                         as to what works and what 
                         doesn't...you're a pure piece of 
                         gold, I told you that, I'm tellin' 
                         you that again, because you're young 
                         and that's what you need.

                                     DIRK
                         I can't do that to Maurice.

                                     JACK
                         You're a good worker, yeah?

                                     DIRK
                         I'm sorry.  I do know you.  I know 
                         you're not full of --

                                     JACK
                         -- doggy-do-do

                                     DIRK
                         ...yeah.  Yeah.  But I just can't 
                         walk out on Maurice.

                                     JACK
                         It seems to me: Beneath those jeans 
                         there's something wonderful just 
                         waiting to get out.

               Jack leaves.  HOLD WITH DIRK. 

No comments:

Post a Comment